Every year, EFFoST organizes the ‘Student of the Year Award’ competition to support and encourage the next generation of food scientists. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated health concerns, it has been decided to move the 34th EFFoST International Conference ‘Bridging high-tech, food-tech and health: Consumer-oriented innovations’ online. Consequently, the Awards ceremony will very different from previous years as they will also be held online.
The six winners will win one of the prizes mentioned below and have the opportunity to present their work at the live online event. Make sure to submit your application by 30 June!
Win one of the Student of the Year Awards:
PhD Awards: 1st prize (€1500), 2nd prize (€750) and 3rd prize (€500)
MSc Awards: 1st prize (€1000) and 2nd prize (€500)
Popular vote: best student poster presentation (€250)
Winning students also receive:
- The Student of the Year Award and an official certificate
- A cheque corresponding to the prize above
- Free access to the 34th EFFoST International Conference online
- Visit Cargill’s European R&D Center to present your research (travel and accommodation costs are covered)
- The opportunity to build and expand your professional network and boost your future career
The top 15 applicants will be invited to join the Popular Vote competition for the best student poster presentation**. The winner will be chosen by the conference delegates at the EFFoST2020 Online Conference. Nominees of the other categories will not be able to complete for the Popular Vote Prize.
Are you eligible?
The EFFoST Student of the Year Award is open to MSc or PhD students of food science, food technology or a related study enrolled at European universities or colleges*. PhD students who completed their degree in the academic year 2019-2020 and MSc students who have completed their degree in the period July 2019-June 2020 are eligible to participate in this competition. Students must have been registered in a degree programme in Food Science and Technology or similar. Part-time students can also apply.
Step 1: Submit your abstract by using the online abstract submission system of the 34th EFFoST International Conference. Don’t forget to tick the box “Student of the Year Award” when the option is provided**.
Step 2: Complete the online application form and provided the following documents:
- Your motivation letter
- Your curriculum vitae
- Conference abstract
- Copy of your student card or student registration
- Nomination letter (not mandatory)
The application deadline is 30 June 2020.
For more information contact Jeroen Knol at SOYA@effost.org
Cargill’s 160,000 employees across 70 countries work relentlessly to achieve their purpose of nourishing the world in a safe, responsible and sustainable way. Every day, Cargill connects farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive. Cargill is proud to work together with EFFoST to support and encourage the next generation of food scientists.
* A University or College in the following countries: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (COST Cooperating State), Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, FYR Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City.
** There is no obligation to register for the conference to submit your application. The five shortlisted nominees will be informed in time to register as their presence at the conference is mandatory. For the popular vote, only the top 15 applicants who register for the conference are able to participate in this competition.